Tuesday, February 8, 2011

The Optimist Sees...



"The pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. The optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
-Winston Churchill

One thing I've been working on is watching my thoughts, and gaining an awareness of when I'm thinking negatively. When an idea arises, do I immediately jump to all the reasons why it won't work? Or do I allow the idea to grow a little? Do I explore the possibilities or try to shut it down?

I have noticed a relationship between where I'm at in my own happiness, and how I react to things that people tell me. When I feel happy and fulfilled, my reactions are positive. When I am unhappy, depressed, tired, my reactions are negative.

These days, when I notice myself reacting negatively to things, or trying to "shut down" new ideas and opportunities, I am simply trying to be aware of these thoughts/reactions, to acknowledge them, and then to allow myself to move beyond them. The last thing I want to do is react negatively to my negative reactions, coming down on and judging myself will only compound the problem.

So, I'm learning to be open. To be aware. And to be able to guide my reactions.

I think about the types of people that I like being around. Do they exhibit positive or negative energy?

Exactly.

No comments:

Post a Comment